Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default OT torque wrench

On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 20:23:12 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 08/14/2019 07:34 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 19:20:07 -0400, wrote:

On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 17:57:38 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 8/14/2019 5:52 PM,
wrote:
Why else would
they put a reversible ratchet head on a torque wrench????

Ask DeWalt or all the other wrench companies ..
John T.

Bite the bullet John , Clare nailed it . Torque wrenches are NOT
designed to loosen fasteners . Why do you think they call them "BREAKER"
bars ?

I'm not arguing with Clare or DeWalt ... except -
.. why do they put a reverse option ?
on the cheap homeowner torque wrench that
is not meant for that task ?
.. and then print strict warnings to never use it
to loosen a lug nut ...
John T.

because, like I said, you sometimes need to torque a LEFT HAND
THREADED FASTENER.
My 1/2 inch drive Snap-On micro-adjusting click torque wrench is now
ell over 40 years old - they don't have the jigs for recalibrating it
any more - and it has been used "in reverse" fairly often - but NOT as
a "breaker bar"

My 1/2" drive beam torque wrench is getting old too. It still works.

My beam wrench is likely older than me - not much to go wrong on them