Old August 14th 19, 11:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT torque wrench

I lost the original thread from last year ? ..
but regardless and irregardless ..
I bought a new torque wrench today - after returning my second
Princess Auto $ 50. unit - both fell apart in my hands -
just doing snow tires in the driveway 2 times per year.
The new $ 120. DeWalt is almost a foot longer ooh ;
has a very fancy plastic case ; Whoo-ooh !
But one point that was made in the original thread -
using it to loosen the lug nuts - the DeWalt has
several warnings to NOT use it to loosen !
The packaging says " limited 1 year warranty "
the web site says " lifetime replacement warranty"
Canadian Tire and Home Depot.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/d...9678p.html#srp

They are just today offering it in a combo
with a breaker bar ... $ 150.

.. the jury is out .. I won't hold my breath ...

John T.

Old August 14th 19, 11:46 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, August 14, 2019 at 5:22:37 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I lost the original thread from last year ? ..
but regardless and irregardless ..
I bought a new torque wrench today - after returning my second
Princess Auto $ 50. unit - both fell apart in my hands -
just doing snow tires in the driveway 2 times per year.
The new $ 120. DeWalt is almost a foot longer ooh ;
has a very fancy plastic case ; Whoo-ooh !
But one point that was made in the original thread -
using it to loosen the lug nuts - the DeWalt has
several warnings to NOT use it to loosen !

I Knowing what their purpose is and what they are used for, I hope you didn't need that warning. About the only time I could see using one to loosen a bolt would be if you wanted to see if it was excessively torqued. Even then, not sure if you torqued it to 30 that means it will unscrew at 30, might take more, but there should be a correlation.

A friend of mine was complaining that a tire shop had way over torqued his lugs. He went back and the manager took a torque wrench, put it on a lug, showed him that it clicked at the correct value and said that proved they torqued it correctly......

Old August 15th 19, 12:19 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 14:46:44 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

[...]

I used my cheapo to loosen the wheel nuts - but I'm pretty sure
that was not the failure cause - they both had screws loosen off -
in different spots . I suspect that homeowner torque wrenches
do not measure the loosening torque . .
professional tools - perhaps ?
Re-torquing click does not prove that it wasn't
originally over-torqued ... duh.
John T.
Old August 15th 19, 12:36 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Torque wrench reads both directions - has to, otherwize you could
not torque left hand nuts. The "prohibition" against using it for
loosening is the fact that the force released when a bolt snaps loose
is extreme and WILL throw the calibration off in time. If the bolt/nut
is not semi-seized, and comes off easily with no "snap" it will NOT
hurt the wrench - but you don't know how it will come off untill you
try it. That's why the "kits" come with a "breaker bar" - break the
nuts loose with the breaker bar, then run them off with the torque
wrench with the ratchet set to the "off" position. Why else would
they but a reversible ratchet head on a torque wrench????

Old August 15th 19, 12:52 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Why else would
they put a reversible ratchet head on a torque wrench????

Ask DeWalt or all the other wrench companies ..
John T.

Old August 15th 19, 12:55 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

* You should both realize that breakaway torque is almost always
significantly higher than tightening torque ... Now I'm not a scientist
nor do I play one on TV , but I have done some "empirical studies" . In
my experience in several cases (yes , I actually did this) it "usually"
takes from 1.5 to 1.7 times the tightening torque to break the bolt
loose . I NEVER use my torque wrenches to loosen a bolt , that ain't
what they were designed for . I use Craftsman clickers for under 100
ft/lbs , I have Dad's beam/pointer wrench for stuff like the Harley comp
sprocket and final drive pulley nuts that need up to 150 ft/lbs .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old August 15th 19, 01:08 AM posted to alt.home.repair

I lost the original thread from last year ? ..
but regardless and irregardless ..
I bought a new torque wrench today - after returning my second
Princess Auto $ 50. unit - both fell apart in my hands -
just doing snow tires in the driveway 2 times per year.
The new $ 120. DeWalt is almost a foot longer ooh ;
has a very fancy plastic case ; Whoo-ooh !
But one point that was made in the original thread -
using it to loosen the lug nuts - the DeWalt has
several warnings to NOT use it to loosen !
The packaging says " limited 1 year warranty "
the web site says " lifetime replacement warranty"
Canadian Tire and Home Depot.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/d...9678p.html#srp

They are just today offering it in a combo
with a breaker bar ... $ 150.
.. the jury is out .. I won't hold my breath ...
John T.

Lifetime of the wrench is when it dies or falls apart.

Princess Auto was very good with both returns -
I didn't need to show proof of purchase or anything.
... but the product was still very poor - I suspect that they
had a lot of returns .. I got a store credit for the $ amount
so they will get about 50 % back ...

As for CTC I copied the web site lifetime warranty -
to use when this one fails...
as opposed to the packaging 1 year warranty.
John T.

Measuring torque on a motor with a leadscrew with a torque wrench Don Foreman Metalworking 0 January 23rd 08 08:30 AM
Measuring torque on a motor with a leadscrew with a torque wrench Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 0 January 21st 08 11:51 PM
Torque wrench nthng2snet UK diy 10 April 3rd 05 11:29 AM
What's a torque wrench? Claudia Home Repair 30 June 1st 04 04:28 AM
Seeking source for torque wrench extensions djl Metalworking 19 December 14th 03 12:27 AM