Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT torque wrench

I lost the original thread from last year ? ..
but regardless and irregardless ..
I bought a new torque wrench today - after returning my second
Princess Auto $ 50. unit - both fell apart in my hands -
just doing snow tires in the driveway 2 times per year.
The new $ 120. DeWalt is almost a foot longer ooh ;
has a very fancy plastic case ; Whoo-ooh !
But one point that was made in the original thread -
using it to loosen the lug nuts - the DeWalt has
several warnings to NOT use it to loosen !
The packaging says " limited 1 year warranty "
the web site says " lifetime replacement warranty"
Canadian Tire and Home Depot.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/d...9678p.html#srp

They are just today offering it in a combo
with a breaker bar ... $ 150.

.. the jury is out .. I won't hold my breath ...

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, August 14, 2019 at 5:22:37 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I lost the original thread from last year ? ..
but regardless and irregardless ..
I bought a new torque wrench today - after returning my second
Princess Auto $ 50. unit - both fell apart in my hands -
just doing snow tires in the driveway 2 times per year.
The new $ 120. DeWalt is almost a foot longer ooh ;
has a very fancy plastic case ; Whoo-ooh !
But one point that was made in the original thread -
using it to loosen the lug nuts - the DeWalt has
several warnings to NOT use it to loosen !

I Knowing what their purpose is and what they are used for, I hope you didn't need that warning. About the only time I could see using one to loosen a bolt would be if you wanted to see if it was excessively torqued. Even then, not sure if you torqued it to 30 that means it will unscrew at 30, might take more, but there should be a correlation.

A friend of mine was complaining that a tire shop had way over torqued his lugs. He went back and the manager took a torque wrench, put it on a lug, showed him that it clicked at the correct value and said that proved they torqued it correctly......

The packaging says " limited 1 year warranty "
the web site says " lifetime replacement warranty"
Canadian Tire and Home Depot.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/d...9678p.html#srp

They are just today offering it in a combo
with a breaker bar ... $ 150.

.. the jury is out .. I won't hold my breath ...

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 14:46:44 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

[...]

I used my cheapo to loosen the wheel nuts - but I'm pretty sure
that was not the failure cause - they both had screws loosen off -
in different spots . I suspect that homeowner torque wrenches
do not measure the loosening torque . .
professional tools - perhaps ?
Re-torquing click does not prove that it wasn't
originally over-torqued ... duh.
John T.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Torque wrench reads both directions - has to, otherwize you could
not torque left hand nuts. The "prohibition" against using it for
loosening is the fact that the force released when a bolt snaps loose
is extreme and WILL throw the calibration off in time. If the bolt/nut
is not semi-seized, and comes off easily with no "snap" it will NOT
hurt the wrench - but you don't know how it will come off untill you
try it. That's why the "kits" come with a "breaker bar" - break the
nuts loose with the breaker bar, then run them off with the torque
wrench with the ratchet set to the "off" position. Why else would
they but a reversible ratchet head on a torque wrench????

Posted to alt.home.repair

Why else would
they put a reversible ratchet head on a torque wrench????

Ask DeWalt or all the other wrench companies ..
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Â* You should both realize that breakaway torque is almost always
significantly higher than tightening torque ... Now I'm not a scientist
nor do I play one on TV , but I have done some "empirical studies" . In
my experience in several cases (yes , I actually did this) it "usually"
takes from 1.5 to 1.7 times the tightening torque to break the bolt
loose . I NEVER use my torque wrenches to loosen a bolt , that ain't
what they were designed for . I use Craftsman clickers for under 100
ft/lbs , I have Dad's beam/pointer wrench for stuff like the Harley comp
sprocket and final drive pulley nuts that need up to 150 ft/lbs .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

I lost the original thread from last year ? ..
but regardless and irregardless ..
I bought a new torque wrench today - after returning my second
Princess Auto $ 50. unit - both fell apart in my hands -
just doing snow tires in the driveway 2 times per year.
The new $ 120. DeWalt is almost a foot longer ooh ;
has a very fancy plastic case ; Whoo-ooh !
But one point that was made in the original thread -
using it to loosen the lug nuts - the DeWalt has
several warnings to NOT use it to loosen !
The packaging says " limited 1 year warranty "
the web site says " lifetime replacement warranty"
Canadian Tire and Home Depot.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/d...9678p.html#srp

They are just today offering it in a combo
with a breaker bar ... $ 150.
.. the jury is out .. I won't hold my breath ...
John T.

Lifetime of the wrench is when it dies or falls apart.

Princess Auto was very good with both returns -
I didn't need to show proof of purchase or anything.
... but the product was still very poor - I suspect that they
had a lot of returns .. I got a store credit for the $ amount
so they will get about 50 % back ...

As for CTC I copied the web site lifetime warranty -
to use when this one fails...
as opposed to the packaging 1 year warranty.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 19:08:39 -0400, wrote:

[...]

Keep the receipt - the "lifetime warranty" is with CTC - not Stanley/
Black and Decker Corp (the owner of DeWalt brand).

CTC is pretty good with their warranty - but not as simple as Princess
Auto (we are not satisfied until you are)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/14/2019 09:37 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 20:23:12 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 08/14/2019 07:34 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 19:20:07 -0400, wrote:

On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 17:57:38 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 8/14/2019 5:52 PM,
wrote:
Why else would
they put a reversible ratchet head on a torque wrench????

Ask DeWalt or all the other wrench companies ..
John T.

Bite the bullet John , Clare nailed it . Torque wrenches are NOT
designed to loosen fasteners . Why do you think they call them "BREAKER"
bars ?

I'm not arguing with Clare or DeWalt ... except -
.. why do they put a reverse option ?
on the cheap homeowner torque wrench that
is not meant for that task ?
.. and then print strict warnings to never use it
to loosen a lug nut ...
John T.

because, like I said, you sometimes need to torque a LEFT HAND
THREADED FASTENER.
My 1/2 inch drive Snap-On micro-adjusting click torque wrench is now
ell over 40 years old - they don't have the jigs for recalibrating it
any more - and it has been used "in reverse" fairly often - but NOT as
a "breaker bar"

My 1/2" drive beam torque wrench is getting old too. It still works.

My beam wrench is likely older than me - not much to go wrong on them

I remember the blurb from a Sturtevant that as long as the needle
pointed at zero it was accurate until the beam broke. I don't think I
have to worry about that in this lifetime. For most things I depend on
my calibrated fingers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I have one of these;

https://wbtools.com.au/catalog/produ.../category/103/

Mine is quite old now, 50 years plus, but still works perfectly and is
accurate. It does, however, only operate in one direction. Want to
torque left hand threaded nuts and bolts, you're outta luck. As you can
see, the new models are clearly marked for direction of operation. For
general vehicle work, I have found this more than adequate. For wheel
tightening, I used to have a bi-directional cheapie but that's long
since disappeared once I retired. On wheels it was a pain to use anyway
since it had a scale that was a pain in the posterior to read when
operated on its side.

I was always taught that tension wrenches were *not* to be used for
loosening bolts. The reasons should be obvious to anyone who has, for
instance, loosened head bolts.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Wednesday, August 14, 2019 at 5:22:37 PM UTC-4,
wrote:
IÂ* lost the original threadÂ* fromÂ* last year ?Â* ..
but regardlessÂ*Â* andÂ* irregardlessÂ* ..
I bought a new torque wrench todayÂ* -Â* after returning my second
Princess AutoÂ* $ 50.Â* unitÂ* -Â* both fell apart in my handsÂ* -
Â* just doing snow tires in the drivewayÂ* 2 times per year.
The newÂ*Â*Â* $ 120.Â* DeWaltÂ* isÂ* almost a foot longerÂ* ooh ;
Â* has aÂ* veryÂ*Â* fancy plastic case ;Â* Whoo-ooh !
ButÂ*Â* one point that was made in the original threadÂ* -
Â* using it toÂ* loosenÂ*Â* theÂ* lug nutsÂ* -Â*Â* theÂ* DeWaltÂ* has
several warningsÂ* toÂ* NOTÂ* use it to loosenÂ* !

I Knowing what their purpose is and what they are used for,
I hope you didn't need that warning. About the only time I could see
using one to loosen a bolt would be if you wanted to see if it was
excessively torqued.
Even then, not sure if you torqued it to 30 that means it will
unscrew at 30,
might take more, but there should be a correlation.
A friend of mine was complaining that a tire shop had way over
torqued his lugs.
He went back and the manager took a torque wrench, put it on a lug,
showed him that it clicked at the correct value and said that proved
they torqued it correctly......

Â* I used my cheapoÂ* to loosen the wheel nutsÂ* -Â* but I'm pretty sure
that was not the failure causeÂ* -Â* they both had screws loosen offÂ* -
in different spots .Â*Â*Â* I suspect thatÂ* homeownerÂ* torque wrenches
do not measure theÂ* looseningÂ*Â* torqueÂ* . .
Â*Â*Â*Â* Â* professional toolsÂ* -Â* perhaps ?
Re-torquingÂ*Â* clickÂ*Â*Â* does notÂ* prove that it wasn't
originallyÂ*Â* over-torqued ...Â*Â*Â* duh.
Â*Â*Â* John T.

Â* You should both realize that breakaway torque is almost always
significantly higher than tightening torque ... Now I'm not a scientist

Ah, yes, breakaway torque, couldn't recall the term when I responded to
another poster in this thread.

nor do I play one on TV , but I have done some "empirical studies" . In
my experience in several cases (yes , I actually did this) it "usually"
takes from 1.5 to 1.7 times the tightening torque to break the bolt

Significantly more if the threads are in any way rusty or seized up.

loose . I NEVER use my torque wrenches to loosen a bolt , that ain't
what they were designed for .

Ditto.

I use Craftsman clickers for under 100
ft/lbs , I have Dad's beam/pointer wrench for stuff like the Harley comp
sprocket and final drive pulley nuts that need up to 150 ft/lbs .

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 15/8/19 11:11 am, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 8/14/19 7:59 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 8/14/2019 6:20 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 17:57:38 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 8/14/2019 5:52 PM,
wrote:
Why else would
they put a reversible ratchet head on a torque wrench????

AskÂ* DeWaltÂ*Â* orÂ*Â* all the otherÂ* wrench companiesÂ* ..
Â*Â*Â*Â* John T.

Â*Â* Bite the bullet John , Clare nailed it . Torque wrenches are NOT
designed to loosen fasteners . Why do you think they call them
"BREAKER"
bars ?

I'm not arguing withÂ* ClareÂ* orÂ* DeWaltÂ* ...Â* exceptÂ* -
..Â* why do they put aÂ* reverseÂ* optionÂ* ?
Â*Â* on the cheapÂ* homeownerÂ* torque wrenchÂ* that
is not meant forÂ* thatÂ*Â* taskÂ* ?
Â* ..Â*Â* and thenÂ*Â* printÂ* strict warningsÂ* toÂ* neverÂ* use it
Â*Â* toÂ* loosen aÂ* lug nutÂ* ...
Â*Â* John T.

Â*Â* The clutch basket nut on my (RIP Bag Lady) now deceased 1976
Shovelhead Harley was a left hand thread that required a 45-55 LB/ft
torques . Is that a good enough example ? You certainly didn't want to
overtorque , it would crackÂ* the clutch hub - taper fit with a key to
locate .

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Didn't the older Chrysler products have left hand threaded lug
bolts on the driver's
side?

Yep, get a cheapie torque wrench with a dual directional scale. More
than adequate for that role and it will preserve the torque wrench you
use on the serious stuff.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 08/14/2019 07:34 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 19:20:07 -0400, wrote:

On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 17:57:38 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 8/14/2019 5:52 PM,
wrote:
[...]

Mine is 50-55 at the very least. Obtained in my early days when I could
finally afford it so would have been well after I completed my
apprenticeship.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 08/14/2019 07:34 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 19:20:07 -0400, wrote:

On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 17:57:38 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 8/14/2019 5:52 PM,
wrote:
[...]

You have a set too, eh? I used to use them on those pesky left hand
threaded wheel nuts.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/14/2019 6:20 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 17:57:38 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 8/14/2019 5:52 PM,
wrote:
[...]

I don't understand what that means. There is no need to use any torque wrench to loosen bolts, no skilled mechanic would do that. And if you use a torque wrench correctly, it will last a long time, especially for occasional use. I would not buy even a cheap torque wrench and misuse it. Abusing it, it will likely be way out of calibration long before it falls apart.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/14/2019 6:20 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 17:57:38 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 8/14/2019 5:52 PM,
wrote:
[...]

I meant for left hand thread *tightening*. When I was an apprentice, I
used to get to do a lot of wheel changing. We had quite a few customers
with LH threads on the LH side of their vehicle's wheels.
I had a cheapie version of this;
https://www.dealsanimg.com/d/l400/pi...-inch-0-80.jpg
that I used on those wheels to get a reasonably consistent torque on all
wheel nuts - in either direction. It was consistency of torque that was
important.

For engine work and any other place where precision was required, the
workshop W&B torque wrenches were used. We had a small one in inch lbs
for auto trans adjustments, a 1/2" drive unit for general work and a
3/4" drive unit for use on trucks and machinery.

Didn't use torque wrenches for loosening bolts - ever.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 08/14/2019 07:34 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 19:20:07 -0400, wrote:

On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 17:57:38 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 8/14/2019 5:52 PM,
wrote:
[...]

I know my '60 Plymouth had those but I can't remember if the '65 Dodge
did. Probably more than one stud was snapped off by Jim Bob with a 1/2"
breaker bar and 3' of 1" pipe for an extension.

Where you needed that was the nut holding the rear drum on the '60
Plymouth. I do remember that feature went away by the '65. It was a pita
back when brake slave cylinders had a habit of leaking. I don't think I
even have a cylinder hone anymore. New cars are so boring.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 08/14/2019 07:34 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 19:20:07 -0400, wrote:

On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 17:57:38 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 8/14/2019 5:52 PM,
wrote:
[...]

You mean the "rawhide wrench"??
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Basically a British or OZZIE phenomenon - rarely seen in Canada or
the USA - and definitely NOT reversible (unless it has a "spud" on
both sides - or a "slip through" spud.

Mine is quite old now, 50 years plus, but still works perfectly and is
accurate. It does, however, only operate in one direction. Want to
torque left hand threaded nuts and bolts, you're outta luck. As you can
see, the new models are clearly marked for direction of operation. For
general vehicle work, I have found this more than adequate. For wheel
tightening, I used to have a bi-directional cheapie but that's long
since disappeared once I retired. On wheels it was a pain to use anyway
since it had a scale that was a pain in the posterior to read when
operated on its side.

I was always taught that tension wrenches were *not* to be used for
loosening bolts. The reasons should be obvious to anyone who has, for
instance, loosened head bolts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Made in Melbourne, just down the road from my first teaching assignment
in fact. Yes, not reversible in the least. That was why I had the
cheapie - just for those odd occasions, typically wheel nuts.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 08/14/2019 07:34 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 19:20:07 -0400, wrote:

On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 17:57:38 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 8/14/2019 5:52 PM,
wrote:
Why else would
they put a reversible ratchet head on a torque wrench????

AskÂ* DeWaltÂ*Â* orÂ*Â* all the otherÂ* wrench companiesÂ* ..
Â*Â*Â* John T.

Â* Bite the bullet John , Clare nailed it . Torque wrenches are NOT
designed to loosen fasteners . Why do you think they call them
"BREAKER"
bars ?

I'm not arguing withÂ* ClareÂ* orÂ* DeWaltÂ* ...Â* exceptÂ* -
..Â* why do they put aÂ* reverseÂ* optionÂ* ?
Â*on the cheapÂ* homeownerÂ* torque wrenchÂ* that
is not meant forÂ* thatÂ*Â* taskÂ* ?
..Â*Â* and thenÂ*Â* printÂ* strict warningsÂ* toÂ* neverÂ* use it
Â*toÂ* loosen aÂ* lug nutÂ* ...
Â*John T.

because, like I said, you sometimes need to torque a LEFT HAND
THREADED FASTENER.
Â*My 1/2 inch drive Snap-On micro-adjusting click torque wrench is now
ell over 40 years old - they don't have the jigs for recalibrating it
any more - and it has been used "in reverse" fairly often - but NOT as
a "breaker bar"

My 1/2" drive beam torque wrench is getting old too. It still works.
Â*My beam wrench is likely older than me - not much to go wrong on them

I remember the blurb from a Sturtevant that as long as the needle
pointed at zero it was accurate until the beam broke. I don't think I
have to worry about that in this lifetime. For most things I depend on
my calibrated fingers.

You have a set too, eh? I used to use them on those pesky left hand
threaded wheel nuts.

You mean the "rawhide wrench"??

No idea what it's called on your side of the pond.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Measuring torque on a motor with a leadscrew with a torque wrench Don Foreman Metalworking 0 January 23rd 08 08:30 AM
Measuring torque on a motor with a leadscrew with a torque wrench Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 0 January 21st 08 11:51 PM
Torque wrench nthng2snet UK diy 10 April 3rd 05 11:29 AM
What's a torque wrench? Claudia Home Repair 30 June 1st 04 04:28 AM
Seeking source for torque wrench extensions djl Metalworking 19 December 14th 03 12:27 AM