Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Screws behind Door Hinges

On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 19:26:02 -0700, Bob F wrote:

On 8/11/2019 7:13 PM, Bob Simon wrote:
My wife's closet hinge screws were stripped on the frame side so I used info from this article to repair them:
https://www.thisoldhouse.com/more/su...e-loose-hinges

With the hinges off the frame, I see that the builder drove two hidden screws into the frame behind the hinges. At first, I thought these were perhaps intended as a spacer for the hinges and that I should leave them but now I'm thinking about removing them so the hinges will be flush with the frame.

Has anyone heard of this practice? Does it have any benefit or is this some kind of builder's superstition?

Spacing one or the other edge of hinges can correct for uneven gaps in
the door closing.

Not if the jam isn't plumb and square