Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Reay[_6_] Brian Reay[_6_] is offline

Default Caravan electrics.

On 12/08/19 19:46, ARW wrote:
What is the norm on them these days?

A mixture of 12V from a leisure battery and 230V for when there is a
230V hook up. Inverters?

Caravans are IMHO just things that I normally queue behind on the A64 or
overtake if I get a chance.

This one is in Bristol and needs a rewire. So apart from hogging the
middle lane of the M5 on my way to get to Britol do any caravanners have
any tips on the best way to do caravan electrics?

If you are planning to rewire one, there are two main approaches.

One is to use a 'control box' and associated panel. People like CBE,
Sargent make them. These tend mainly to control the 12V side and
interface with the vehicle- especially in motorhomes. They generally do
have some mains element but it is generally just housing the RCD and
MCBs, rather than actual control.

The other approach is less integrated. Basic wiring with fuses or
circuit breakers etc and sensors for the water tanks. People like CBE
make the various bits you need.

Our previous mh had a Sargent Box, it was large but seemed very good. We
didn't have any problems, other than the water level sensor was
sensitive to lime scale. Adding a larger cathode (reducing the current
density and therefore scale / area over time) solved this. The new one
is a CBE. It is more compact and, so far, has been fine.