Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Reay[_6_] Brian Reay[_6_] is offline

Default Caravan electrics.

On 13/08/19 09:05, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Tim+ pretended :
Gas is now frowned up. There are few gas fridges any more. There are 12V
fridges but they command a premium. I went for an efficient fridge and
an inverter.

********! Gas is the most common way of powering a fridge when €śoff grid€ť.

Correct!

Quite so. However I gather that some recent models won't actually
power on gas without having a 12 V control supply present.

The modern ones at least have two 12V supplies. A high current one which
is switched so it is only on when the engine is running. It powers the
heating jacket. Then there is a low current one which powers the
control circuits and, I assume, the igniter for the gas.

We rarely run ours on gas, I think we've run the current on it once when
we stayed in a 'Pub Stop' (one of those Pubs you can stay in their
carparks if you eat there etc). We don't normally use them but it was
recommended as it was near the place which fitted the towbar to our new
vehicle the next day.