Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim... tim... is offline

Default Motion sensative outside light

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 10/08/2019 16:36, pinnerite wrote:
I bought an LED outside light less than 3 years ago from Homebase.
It was white and less obtrusive against our white walls.
Recently it started to barely glow.

My electrician, as friend for over 50 years popped i to deliver
something. I showed him the lamp which he had fitted. He laughed and said
'you need to get a new one'. The original came in a sealed unit so
couldn't be repaired.

He will no longer supply them because so many are unreliable. He
mentioned a brand that he claimed was more reliable than most but I could
not find it on the web so purchased one that claimed that it was water-
proof.

I should have come here first and sought advice but I reckon I am losing
it.

I tend to favour "dumb" lamps fed via standalone PIR(s). Much simpler to
replace a PIR on its own if it fails, and you can then have the sensing
bit in the most appropriate place (or places), which might not be mounted
near the lamp.

The microwave ones installed inside the lamps are much more sensitive and to
a certain extent can "See" round corners

tim