Andy Hall

Default C/H - Combi, condensing or conventional?

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 10:33:51 GMT, Mark Trotman
wrote:

Oh fount of all knowledge,

With my back boiler dead, I would like to replace the complete C/H
system here. I would prefer to put the boiler (and storage tank, if
necessary,) in the loft space out of the way. What, in the groups view,
is the best boiler type these days? I have googled around for a while
and remain as confused as ever! Are condensing units still unreliable?

No they are not. Only some of the early generation UK designed and
manufactured ones were. Generally German and Dutch manufactured ones
have been good anyway, and now most of the UK manufacturers are as
well. The important thing is to buy a good quality product which
will typically have a stainless steel heat exchanger. Don't buy on
price at the bottom of the market.

The UK heating industry is conservative and some installers still will
not supply them. This is largely based on old wives tales that they
hear at the merchants and if they are not familiar with how to install
a condensing boiler - this is not rocket science however. The only
additional item required is a drain for the condensate.

How do purchase costs compare between the a combi and a condenser (when
comparing like for like in terms of thermal output)?

The economic equation can be worked out approximately from looking at
www.sedbuk.com.

Your existing boiler is likely to have an seasonal efficiency of
around 65%. A new conventional boiler will have one of 78-80%
typically - there is a legal minimum of 78%.
Condensing boilers have an efficiency on the same scale of around
90-91%. I have done an exchange from a 65% to a 90% efficient
boiler and the gas savings have been around 25-30%.

The cost difference is becoming less and less but typically around
10-20% more for an equivalent condensing boiler of the same output
*and* build quality. Don't make the mistake of comparing a cheap
conventional boiler with a good condensing one like a Vaillant.

You need to look at the cost equation for the period of time that you
intend to keep the house. Probably if you only plan to be there for
two years a condensing boiler will not pay back its cost. If you
plan to be there for a while then it is worth making the investment in
a better quality condensing model.

Are there any
advantages of buying a system from British Gas

None at all. They simply charge a lot of money for a system and
there is no guarantee of a better job. They sweeten it by giving
two years of "maintenance", which in practice is not worth having.

or would I be better off
just getting a local Corgi man in?

Probably.
Look for Heating Engineers though and then as part of the selection
process ask for references.

Any recommendations for installers in the Gloucestershire area?

Any/all advice most welcomed!

HNY & TIA

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl