Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Motion sensative outside light

Seems to me that nobody wants to build to last due to the way the sheds and
other vendors make the price margin so low. IE if they were allowed to make
them better, then they would be more expensive but last much longer. Its
the planned obsolescence thing again.
I've noticed the same with most things, insulated mugs, portable radios and
all sorts.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
pinnerite wrote:

I bought an LED outside light less than 3 years ago from Homebase.
It was white and less obtrusive against our white walls.
Recently it started to barely glow.

My electrician, as friend for over 50 years popped i to deliver
something. I showed him the lamp which he had fitted. He laughed and said
'you need to get a new one'. The original came in a sealed unit so
couldn't be repaired.

He will no longer supply them because so many are unreliable. He
mentioned a brand that he claimed was more reliable than most but I could
not find it on the web so purchased one that claimed that it was water-
proof.

I should have come here first and sought advice but I reckon I am losing
it.

I've had one of the Lucky Golden Hedgehog LEDs, they tend to be
underpowered compared to the claim on the box, and tend to have an earth
wire flapping around unattached inside.

I swapped to an "iSpot", only had it a couple of years, but it seems much
more well made than the cheapo, the PSU is on-board with the LED, whole
case heatsink is massive.

https://www.ryness.co.uk/30w-ispot-c-led-floodlight-in-black?variant=14491

I don't think I paid anything like that price for it, but Screwfix have
stopped stocking them for some reason, so far no problems with it (apart
from a fairly short mains cable on it).