Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dennis@home Dennis@home is offline

Default Can Building Control over-ride planning permission?

On 09/08/2019 19:05, Bert Coules wrote:
I secured planning permission for a rear extension to my bungalow, which
is now built.Â* The new back door opens outwards and is clearly shown as
such on the submitted plans.

I haven't yet installed the steps from this back door down to
garden/patio level (and for this reason haven't yet secured a completion
certificate) but I'm now ready to build them.

My understanding (which might of course be wrong) is that descending
steps should not begin immediately outside an outward-opening door:
there has to be a level area of a specific depth first.

But...Â* the plans which have been passed *do* show steps down from the
threshold of the door.Â* Leaving aside the question of whether orÂ* not
this is actually sensible or desirable, does the fact that the plans
have been accepted mean that I could build the steps like that if I
chose to do so? Or would Building Control refuse to sign off the work?

Many thanks.

Planning is appearance, suitability for the area and proper use.
If you need planning then you can't start to build without satisfying
them. They can have the building demolished if you do build without
permission. Some things don't need permission BTW.

Building control is about structural safety, insulation, etc.
You don't need approval to start but if you don't meet the standards you
may have to rectify it.

In most councils they don't really talk to each other.

Quite often the two can conflict like planning say you have to have a
type of window and building control will say it doesn't comply.

As for the steps you will just have to ask building control, planning
won't care.
Maybe fit a panic bolt to it and call it an escape route?