Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Platt[_2_] Dave Platt[_2_] is offline

Default Old filter question

In article ,
wrote:

That's a good idea Dave, the IEC filter. I've seen them on the All
Electronics site. In the meantime I think I should try to check as
many caps as I can. I'm not sure about how well the scope will work if
any caps are replaced but maybe I can adjust the scope by using the
manual. It looks really comprehensive.

Yes, failed 'lytic caps are a prime suspect in equipment as old as
this. You're likely to find a bunch that have dried out and/or
leaked - many will probably show low capacitance and/or high ESR.

Be sure to be careful about high voltage - the HV filter caps and even
the CRT itself can hold enough charge to lethally ruin your whole day
(and all of the ones that follow).