Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default How do you give directions to the fire service when you do notknow what road you are on?

On 08/08/2019 09:22, nightjar wrote:
On 07/08/2019 21:57, ARW wrote:
Basically between two villages. No houses, no pubs nothing (apart from
a field on fire).

You know the names of the villages and that is all.

Could the phone operator not work it out?

I wouldn't bet on it.

I called an ambulance a few years ago to a junction of two named roads.
The call handler was in a different county, so didn't know the area and
one of the roads was newer than the ambulance's satnav database. I had
to talk the ambulance in from a place they could find, about half a mile
away at the start of the road that was on their database.

A few years back I reported a gas leak, This wasnt just a smell of gas
you could hear the gas escaping from 50 yards away, it was a major
pipeline gong in to (or out) of a gas works. I gave them the address &
town. I explained this to emergency services and then got ****ed of with
all the other questions so told her " I have reported and given address,
this is serious, do what you want"
It took about half hour for services to investigate and then evacuated
all for half mile with overnight accommodation.