Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default How do you give directions to the fire service when you do not know what road you are on?

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 07/08/2019 23:37, Rod Speed wrote:
ARW wrote
Basically between two villages. No houses, no pubs nothing (apart from a
field on fire).

Use the GPS to see what road you are on and call them on your mobile so
they can get the mobile to tell them exactly where you are.
You know the names of the villages and that is all.

Could the phone operator not work it out?

They should be able to if you call using your mobile.

I don't think cellphone calls forward GPS coordinates, even if your phone
has GPS.

Yes they do and that is legally mandated.

I suppose you could take a photo of the fire (or whatever) and email it to
them, provided you have turned geotagging on.

But its less clear if the monkey fielding
the call can actually receive that photo.

If you call using your mobile, you dont
even have to do anything, the system
knows where the phone is even if you
drop dead after making the call and