Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default How do you give directions to the fire service when you do not know what road you are on?

The thing is I seem to have no issues, but I imagine if its a sparsely
populated area, the place you are talking to may well be well away and
there is no local knowledge.
Somehow hear in London they tell me where I am if I've rung from a mobile of
recent vintage.
Obviously I've only had to do it recently about twice, but I guess some of
the larger call handling centres being not local is the main issue.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 07/08/2019 22:10, Tim+ wrote:
ARW wrote:
Basically between two villages. No houses, no pubs nothing (apart from a
field on fire).

You know the names of the villages and that is all.

Could the phone operator not work it out?

Optimist! I've found trying to give positions to emergency services an
incredibly frustrating experience. The main problem being that they've
not
heard of the internet and search engines. Also, it takes an age to get
through to anyone who can understand grid references or any normal system
of identifying position that doesn't involve street names and house
numbers.

"What three words" seems like a nice idea but I don't hold out much hope
of
any operator understanding the idea.
https://what3words.com/daring.lion.race

Tim

I believe that some emergency services are now using it. (It's something
we have been discussing in the context of bridleway users).