Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default Stealing Power

On Tue, 06 Aug 2019 11:39:43 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 06 Aug 2019 13:51:44 GMT,
(Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

L Thorpe writes:

Electric power, I believe, is distributed to residential areas
as 2200 Volt lines. Before entering the home, this voltage is
stepped down to 220 Volts with a pole-mounted transformer.

Generally the primary side of a residential transformer is
at from 12kv to 25kv. I wouldn't advocate going anywhere
near a 12kv conductor.

Note that many arial primaries are uninsulated. Another reason
to avoid them.

Most of the induction schemes proposed don't really work. Rod is
right, a one turn or worse a conductor running parallel to a line is
not going to collect any usable amount of power. I have a 230kv line
and two 26kv lines running near my boat house and if you believe the
urban legends I could just put a F40 fluorescent tube in there and it
would light.
The reality is no combination of coils, long wires running under the
line or anything else I tried would even get a dim glow out of it. I
can get random numbers on my DMM but I get that out in my boat,
nowhere near anything electrical.

You'd probably need to feel the charge to get a tube to glow.
The 550 kV switchyard where I once worked was said to do it.
A person walking in that yard would usually feel the hairs on his arms
standing up ; plus every piece of solidly grounded structure would
give you a static spark when touched with bare skin ..
The manually operated handwheel circuit ground switches
would draw ~ 10 foot arcs when opening ! due to the induced
circulating ground current of 2 long lines sharing towers.
.... they were subsequently motorized with arc-snuffers.
John T.