Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Why aren't toasters grounded?

On Tuesday, August 6, 2019 at 11:34:22 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 08:02:50 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Tuesday, August 6, 2019 at 10:10:57 AM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

Toasters are expected to be plugged into a GFCI "small appliance
circuit". There is a great amount of safety because of that.

My house was made in 1967 and doesn't have GFCI circuit in the kitchen
or a GFCI circuit breaker for the kitchen in the main panel. Having
said that though, we use a toaster OVEN rather than a toaster for
bread. It has three prongs.

My house was built in the 1980's and does not have GFCI in the kitchen.
We have a toster oven that only has a 2 prong plug. It was bought
sometime in the last 10 years.

Fretwell can probably tell you when GFCI became required in kitchens,
but I believe it was required in NEC at least by the latter part of the 80s
and probably went into effect in the early part.

Actually I was wrong about kitchens. It was required in Bathrooms and
outside in 75 but did not get picked up in kitchens until 87.

Interesting. I had a condo back then that I bought new in late 1987
and I know it had GFCI in the kitchen, baths, garage. That's how I
knew it was in effect by then. I figured it probably started a few
years earlier, but looks like that was among the first where it was
required.

Good catch on the microwave, I missed that. I've never seen one that's
not 3 prong. Let's see what Ralph has to say on that.