Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why aren't toasters grounded?

You've never seen a toaster with a two prong cord? That's all they come with. Toasters don't require, or come with, a three prong plug because they're double insulated. Oh and it's impossible to get electrocuted by putting a mental object in the toaster( ie: metal fork). A little education goes a long way in today's world.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 4 Aug 2019 23:23:37 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Toasters are expected to be plugged into a GFCI "small appliance
circuit". There is a great amount of safety because of that.

I bet that over half the houses in the US do not have a GFCI in the
kitchen.

The first apartment and the first house I lived in (not counting the one
I grew up in) only had fuses in it, no breakers at all.

My current house that was built around 1980 only has the GFCI on the
bathroom and outside sockets.

As another pointed out, toasters have been around many years before a
gfci was even heard of, probably many years before even breakers were
used in homes.

I suppose there are plenty of cars without seat belts and they sell
the **** out of cigarettes so it is clear that people don't want to
live forever. GFCIs have been in the code since 75 or so tho.
All that being said you don't really see the pile of bodies you should
expect from 120 years or so of toasters so I guess they aren't that
unsafe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

You've never seen a toaster with a two prong cord?
That's all they come with. Toasters don't require, or come
with, a three prong plug because they're double insulated.

Oh and it's impossible to get electrocuted by putting
a mental object in the toaster( ie: metal fork).

No it not if you hold say an earthed
metal water pipe with the other hand.

A little education goes a long way in today's world.

You clearly didnt get enough.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 5 Aug 2019 13:58:10 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Oh and it's impossible to get electrocuted by putting
a mental object in the toaster( ie: metal fork).

No

LOL He said it, again!

A little education goes a long way in today's world.

You clearly didnąt get enough.

YOU did get a website of your own though, you abysmally stupid senile
trolling asshole:

cretin from Oz:

Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

In Bill Gill writes:

[snip]

You'll have to work at plugging a 2 prong plug in backward.
The prongs are 2 different widths, so the plug will only
go in one way.

You really believe all outlets are properly wired, eh?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/4/2019 10:52 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Sun, 04 Aug 2019 20:55:26 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 4 Aug 2019 17:25:18 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

You've never seen a toaster with a two prong cord? That's all they come with. Toasters don't require, or come with, a three prong plug because they're double insulated. Oh and it's impossible to get electrocuted by putting a mental object in the toaster( ie: metal fork). A little education goes a long way in today's world.

Toasters are expected to be plugged into a GFCI "small appliance
circuit". There is a great amount of safety because of that.

If NOT plugged into a GFCI you CAN get an awfull nasty shock if you
stick a knife into a toaster when thebasket is down (toaster on)
They have a POLARIZED plug co the case side is ALWAYS at ground
potential if plugged into a "properly wired" outlet.

Actually, I don't think this one even has a polarized plug...I'll have
to look later; maybe it was replaced once without. But, I've never
gotten 'bit' by the case and pay no attention when plugging in -- as
another said, I presume they're built as "double insulated".

Was a fad in hand power tools of that back in 60s-70s when hand drills,
etc., etc., came w/ unpolarized two-prong plugs. Still have a couple of
those from the era when JC Penney still had hardware and SWMBO was
working there while we were still in uni so could get a deal. Old Mr
Penney was still around then and pay envelope every week was made up of
two-dollar bills and change; no checks JC!!! Still no credit cards at
JC Penney, either, as long as he was around...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You've never seen a toaster with a two prong cord? That's all they come with. Toasters don't require, or come with, a three prong plug because they're double insulated. Oh and it's impossible to get electrocuted by putting a mental object in the toaster( ie: metal fork). A little education goes a long way in today's world.

Toasters are expected to be plugged into a GFCI "small appliance
circuit". There is a great amount of safety because of that.
If NOT plugged into a GFCI you CAN get an awfull nasty shock if you
stick a knife into a toaster when thebasket is down (toaster on)
They have a POLARIZED plug co the case side is ALWAYS at ground
potential if plugged into a "properly wired" outlet.

You're saying the case is wired to the neutral? That seems very dangerous
because with a two prong plug if you plug it in backwards, now the
case is hot without any fault in the toaster.

You'll have to work at plugging a 2 prong plug in backward.
The prongs are 2 different widths, so the plug will only
go in one way.

Bill

Well, if you're going to tie the case to neutral, then I'd say the plug
and receptacle system needs to be far more robust to make it virtually
impossible to plug in backwards or you're creating a bigger danger than
you are solving. I say it's BS, that Clare is likely wrong, that toasters
and similar do not have their cases wired to neutral.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 5, 2019 at 10:37:57 AM UTC-4, wrote:

wrote:

You've never seen a toaster with a two prong cord? That's all they come with. Toasters don't require, or come with, a three prong plug because they're double insulated. Oh and it's impossible to get electrocuted by putting a mental object in the toaster( ie: metal fork). A little education goes a long way in today's world.

Toasters are expected to be plugged into a GFCI "small appliance
circuit". There is a great amount of safety because of that.

If NOT plugged into a GFCI you CAN get an awfull nasty shock if you
stick a knife into a toaster when thebasket is down (toaster on)
They have a POLARIZED plug co the case side is ALWAYS at ground
potential if plugged into a "properly wired" outlet.

They are double insulated, neither circuit conductor connects to the
case. In fact U/L will not list anything that uses the neutral as an
equipment ground. I understand "Hot Chassis" was common in old
electronics in the 50s and before but that was made that unacceptable
in the 60s.

How something qualifies as double insulated when you can very easily
stick a fork in it and touch the live heater wire, IDK. And not only
that, but unlike say an electric drill, with a toaster there is a
powerful motivation to do so, ie the toast is stuck in there.

I just checked the old Sears toaster here that has a metal case.
I read 6 volts between the case and the neutral, so obviously that
case isn't connected to neutral. So, with that and your UL observation,
looks like I was right. Given all the fuss with dryers and using
the neutral as ground, didn't seem likely that toasters would be
doing that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 5 Aug 2019 13:09:52 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein
wrote:

In Bill Gill writes:

[snip]

You'll have to work at plugging a 2 prong plug in backward.
The prongs are 2 different widths, so the plug will only
go in one way.

You really believe all outlets are properly wired, eh?

Good way to clean the gene pool.

Electrocute those too stupid to do it right or too cheap to have it
done right?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Most are - BUT - SOME are not - and they have polarized plugs.
I would say a pretty good proportion inuse in N America have polarized
plugs and are NOT double insulated.

On SOME the switch is DPST - disconnecting both power and
ground/neutral when shut off

Was a fad in hand power tools of that back in 60s-70s when hand drills,
etc., etc., came w/ unpolarized two-prong plugs. Still have a couple of
those from the era when JC Penney still had hardware and SWMBO was
working there while we were still in uni so could get a deal. Old Mr
Penney was still around then and pay envelope every week was made up of
two-dollar bills and change; no checks JC!!! Still no credit cards at
JC Penney, either, as long as he was around...

Many tools are STILL double insulated and non polarized
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

OK - mabee not "connected to" ground - but built in such a way that
the neutral is the only conductor that COULD connect direct to the
case in case of a normal failure

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/5/2019 8:08 AM, Bill Gill wrote:

You'll have to work at plugging a 2 prong plug in backward.
The prongs are 2 different widths, so the plug will only
go in one way.

That's also a (relatively) recent evolution in the history of the
electric toaster...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/5/19 8:08 AM, Bill Gill wrote:

[snip]

You're saying the case is wired to the neutral?Â* That seems very
dangerous
because with a two prong plug if you plug it in backwards, now the
case is hot without any fault in the toaster.

You'll have to work at plugging a 2 prong plug in backward.
The prongs are 2 different widths, so the plug will only
go in one way.

Bill

I've used a bolt cutter to edit a few plugs (not a good idea to do this
with a toaster), just with a few things that have polarized plugs for no
good reason.

--
"Is reading in the bathroom considered as multi-tasking?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

In Bill Gill writes:

[snip]

You'll have to work at plugging a 2 prong plug in backward.
The prongs are 2 different widths, so the plug will only
go in one way.

You really believe all outlets are properly wired, eh?

Good way to clean the gene pool.

Electrocute those too stupid to do it right or too cheap to have it
done right?

Or who are unforutnate enough that they can't afford a home and must
rely on their slum^H^H^H^Hlandlord to provide a safe evironment?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It simply means there is an insulated assembly inside an insulated
case.
It has nothing to do with whether there is a hole big enough in the
outer case to stick a conductive implement through.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 5, 2019 at 1:16:43 PM UTC-4, Sam E wrote:
On 8/5/19 8:08 AM, Bill Gill wrote:

[snip]

You're saying the case is wired to the neutral?Â* That seems very
dangerous
because with a two prong plug if you plug it in backwards, now the
case is hot without any fault in the toaster.

You'll have to work at plugging a 2 prong plug in backward.
The prongs are 2 different widths, so the plug will only
go in one way.

Bill

I've used a bolt cutter to edit a few plugs (not a good idea to do this
with a toaster), just with a few things that have polarized plugs for no
good reason.

--
"Is reading in the bathroom considered as multi-tasking?"

To answer the actual question asked, I'd say that toasters don't have
grounded plugs because historically before grounded receptacles went
into effect, they did not
and today manufacturers figure that they'd cut their sales by selling
ones that did. There are still plenty of homes with two prong receptacles,
even if it's only 5%, you;d cut your market. And new homes have GFCI
so it's not an issue there. Caught in between are the kitchens with
grounds that go unused, but no GFCI.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

To be legal now, a piece of equipment with a non polarized plug needs
a 2 pole operating switch because you still need to switch the
ungrounded conductor. If there is no switch, like a wall wart, this is
not an issue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Neither current carrying conductor should be capable of contacting the
case unless you have a fault, then it is the luck of the draw. What
they do regulate is which conductor is switched so if you stick your
fork in there with the tray popped up, the element should be connected
to the grounded conductor, not the hot one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Well, then you'd think that having a gaping hole with live conductors
exposed would be something that would fail UL just on that basis.
Protecting against a possible fault someday to make sure a hot can't
touch the case seems less likely a hazard to worry about compare to having
a device with a gaping hole in it where the live heating coil is accessible,
What's more likely? That fault occurring someday or someone sticking
a fork in to get the toast out? And I;m not sure that I buy that it's
even really double insulated when a knife stuck in the gaping hole creates
a direct short regardless of all the other insulation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 5 Aug 2019 11:18:22 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 8/5/2019 8:08 AM, Bill Gill wrote:

You'll have to work at plugging a 2 prong plug in backward.
The prongs are 2 different widths, so the plug will only
go in one way.

That's also a (relatively) recent evolution in the history of the
electric toaster...

I had onwe from the late 40s with a polarized plug - so old it wasn't
a "pop-up"
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The fact that we don't have a pile of bodies tends to say "don't stick
a fork in the toaster" seems to be a lesson people learned.

It is mostly just tradition that allows toasters in the first place.
If someone invented it today it would never make it to market in it's
present design
I could say the same thing about the Edison lamp socket.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/5/2019 3:42 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Mon, 5 Aug 2019 11:18:22 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 8/5/2019 8:08 AM, Bill Gill wrote:

You'll have to work at plugging a 2 prong plug in backward.
The prongs are 2 different widths, so the plug will only
go in one way.

That's also a (relatively) recent evolution in the history of the
electric toaster...

I had onwe from the late 40s with a polarized plug - so old it wasn't
a "pop-up"

Nothing prevented them from using the plug; was it the wide blade type
like current? I'm not sure when the polarized receptacle actually was
introduced but it wasn't until sometime in 60s it became required...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 10:10:48 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Toasters are expected to be plugged into a GFCI "small appliance
circuit". There is a great amount of safety because of that.

My house was made in 1967 and doesn't have GFCI circuit in the kitchen
or a GFCI circuit breaker for the kitchen in the main panel. Having
said that though, we use a toaster OVEN rather than a toaster for
bread. It has three prongs.

My house was built in the 1980's and does not have GFCI in the kitchen.
We have a toster oven that only has a 2 prong plug. It was bought
sometime in the last 10 years.

The Keurig coffee machine and electric mixer are the only small
appliances in te kitchen that do have a 3 prong plug. The other coffee
pot (Mr. Coffee type),and microwave only have 2 prongs.

A microwave with a 2 prong plug? It is either so new it is double
insulated or it was never listed. The 45 year old one I have uses a 3
prong plug. I also wonder what NEC cycle your AHJ was using if a 1980
house does not have GFCI protected small appliance circuits.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 6, 2019 at 11:34:22 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 08:02:50 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Tuesday, August 6, 2019 at 10:10:57 AM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

Toasters are expected to be plugged into a GFCI "small appliance
circuit". There is a great amount of safety because of that.

My house was made in 1967 and doesn't have GFCI circuit in the kitchen
or a GFCI circuit breaker for the kitchen in the main panel. Having
said that though, we use a toaster OVEN rather than a toaster for
bread. It has three prongs.

My house was built in the 1980's and does not have GFCI in the kitchen.
We have a toster oven that only has a 2 prong plug. It was bought
sometime in the last 10 years.

Fretwell can probably tell you when GFCI became required in kitchens,
but I believe it was required in NEC at least by the latter part of the 80s
and probably went into effect in the early part.

Actually I was wrong about kitchens. It was required in Bathrooms and
outside in 75 but did not get picked up in kitchens until 87.

Interesting. I had a condo back then that I bought new in late 1987
and I know it had GFCI in the kitchen, baths, garage. That's how I
knew it was in effect by then. I figured it probably started a few
years earlier, but looks like that was among the first where it was
required.

Good catch on the microwave, I missed that. I've never seen one that's
not 3 prong. Let's see what Ralph has to say on that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 09:26:38 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 8/5/2019 3:42 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Mon, 5 Aug 2019 11:18:22 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 8/5/2019 8:08 AM, Bill Gill wrote:

You'll have to work at plugging a 2 prong plug in backward.
The prongs are 2 different widths, so the plug will only
go in one way.

That's also a (relatively) recent evolution in the history of the
electric toaster...

I had onwe from the late 40s with a polarized plug - so old it wasn't
a "pop-up"

Nothing prevented them from using the plug; was it the wide blade type
like current? I'm not sure when the polarized receptacle actually was
introduced but it wasn't until sometime in 60s it became required...

Although polarized outlets and plugs were introduced in the 1880s,
they were not popular at first and did not become standard until the
mid-20th century. The earliest National Electric Code (NEC) that we
can find that references polarized receptacles is the 1962 edition,
which required outlets to be both grounding (3-prong) and polarized.

Why aren't toasters grounded? [email protected] Home Repair 7 December 26th 18 10:48 AM
Toasters Chris J Dixon UK diy 96 February 22nd 15 07:58 PM
Toasters Gordon Henderson UK diy 110 November 7th 11 10:05 AM
Toasters Graham. UK diy 2 April 28th 11 12:09 PM
Why aren't all extension cords grounded if it's code that your outletbe grounded? so[_2_] Home Repair 16 April 13th 11 04:16 PM