Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Why aren't toasters grounded?

On Tuesday, August 6, 2019 at 10:10:57 AM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

Toasters are expected to be plugged into a GFCI "small appliance
circuit". There is a great amount of safety because of that.

My house was made in 1967 and doesn't have GFCI circuit in the kitchen
or a GFCI circuit breaker for the kitchen in the main panel. Having
said that though, we use a toaster OVEN rather than a toaster for
bread. It has three prongs.

My house was built in the 1980's and does not have GFCI in the kitchen.
We have a toster oven that only has a 2 prong plug. It was bought
sometime in the last 10 years.

Fretwell can probably tell you when GFCI became required in kitchens,
but I believe it was required in NEC at least by the latter part of the 80s
and probably went into effect in the early part.