Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Marquis Saint Evremonde[_2_] The Marquis Saint Evremonde[_2_] is offline

Default Changes to bank web security

The Natural Philosopher posted
On 05/08/2019 20:17, Max Demian wrote:
On 05/08/2019 15:36, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Chris Hogg
wrote:

4) Choose PINsentry card reader (which is the one that seems
appropriate to my situation)

On choosing (4), I'll be given an 8-digit reference number via my PC.
I then insert my card into the card reader, and press 'Respond' on the
reader. I then type in the aforementioned reference number, and press
'Enter' on the card reader, which in turn gives me another 8-digit
code that I type into the appropriate box on my PC screen, and the
payment should then go through OK.

Seems a little complicated but at least it holds out the hope of
something working rather than no longer being able to buy anything
on-line anymore.

Correction (I missed out a step): after inserting your card into the
reader and pressing the 'Respond' button, you type in your PIN and
then press 'Enter'. _Then_ you type in the reference number give by
your PC.

Yes, (4) is what my bank has been doing for some years - with new
payees. A bit tedious but easy enough. You just need your bank card and
the PinSentry, and I do something similar when logging on anyway.

I wonder who thought up the names and symbols on the three blue
buttons at the top:
Identify (keyhole): Just enter your PIN
Respond (up and down arrows): Enter PIN and reference number
Sign (tick): Enter PIN, number and amount
I think that's what you have to do. I've actually only used the
first button. I suppose it means something to somebody.

Identify is just to sign in

Sign is used to make a transfer payment. You generate a hash from
details of the transaction.

Cant remmber what respond is - oh looks like its for online shopping

My bank (Lloyds) online banking website says something like "We will
never ask you to use the Respond function". I'm not sure why they feel
need to say that explicitly.

--
Evremonde