Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Changes to bank web security

On Mon, 05 Aug 2019 22:41:08 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 05/08/2019 20:17, Max Demian wrote:
On 05/08/2019 15:36, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Chris Hogg
wrote:

4) Choose PINsentry card reader (which is the one that seems
appropriate to my situation)

On choosing (4), I'll be given an 8-digit reference number via my
PC. I then insert my card into the card reader, and press 'Respond'
on the reader. I then type in the aforementioned reference number,
and press 'Enter' on the card reader, which in turn gives me another
8-digit code that I type into the appropriate box on my PC screen,
and the payment should then go through OK.

Seems a little complicated but at least it holds out the hope of
something working rather than no longer being able to buy anything
on-line anymore.

Correction (I missed out a step): after inserting your card into the
reader and pressing the 'Respond' button, you type in your PIN and
then press 'Enter'. _Then_ you type in the reference number give by
your PC.

Yes, (4) is what my bank has been doing for some years - with new
payees. A bit tedious but easy enough. You just need your bank card
and the PinSentry, and I do something similar when logging on anyway.

I wonder who thought up the names and symbols on the three blue buttons
at the top:

Identify (keyhole): Just enter your PIN Respond (up and down arrows):
Enter PIN and reference number Sign (tick): Enter PIN, number and
amount

I think that's what you have to do. I've actually only used the first
button. I suppose it means something to somebody.

Identify is just to sign in

Sign is used to make a transfer payment. You generate a hash from
details of the transaction.

Cant remmber what respond is - oh looks like its for online shopping

Well, for mine, Respond is used for transfer payments - specifically for
a first-time payee.