Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why aren't toasters grounded?

On Mon, 05 Aug 2019 12:07:35 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Mon, 5 Aug 2019 08:12:57 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 8/4/2019 10:52 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Sun, 04 Aug 2019 20:55:26 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 4 Aug 2019 17:25:18 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

You've never seen a toaster with a two prong cord? That's all they come with. Toasters don't require, or come with, a three prong plug because they're double insulated. Oh and it's impossible to get electrocuted by putting a mental object in the toaster( ie: metal fork). A little education goes a long way in today's world.

Toasters are expected to be plugged into a GFCI "small appliance
circuit". There is a great amount of safety because of that.
If NOT plugged into a GFCI you CAN get an awfull nasty shock if you
stick a knife into a toaster when thebasket is down (toaster on)
They have a POLARIZED plug co the case side is ALWAYS at ground
potential if plugged into a "properly wired" outlet.

Actually, I don't think this one even has a polarized plug...I'll have
to look later; maybe it was replaced once without. But, I've never
gotten 'bit' by the case and pay no attention when plugging in -- as
another said, I presume they're built as "double insulated".

Most are - BUT - SOME are not - and they have polarized plugs.
I would say a pretty good proportion inuse in N America have polarized
plugs and are NOT double insulated.

On SOME the switch is DPST - disconnecting both power and
ground/neutral when shut off

Was a fad in hand power tools of that back in 60s-70s when hand drills,
etc., etc., came w/ unpolarized two-prong plugs. Still have a couple of
those from the era when JC Penney still had hardware and SWMBO was
working there while we were still in uni so could get a deal. Old Mr
Penney was still around then and pay envelope every week was made up of
two-dollar bills and change; no checks JC!!! Still no credit cards at
JC Penney, either, as long as he was around...

Many tools are STILL double insulated and non polarized

To be legal now, a piece of equipment with a non polarized plug needs
a 2 pole operating switch because you still need to switch the
ungrounded conductor. If there is no switch, like a wall wart, this is
not an issue.