Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why aren't toasters grounded?

On Mon, 5 Aug 2019 08:46:59 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Monday, August 5, 2019 at 10:37:57 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sun, 04 Aug 2019 23:52:09 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Sun, 04 Aug 2019 20:55:26 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 4 Aug 2019 17:25:18 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

You've never seen a toaster with a two prong cord? That's all they come with. Toasters don't require, or come with, a three prong plug because they're double insulated. Oh and it's impossible to get electrocuted by putting a mental object in the toaster( ie: metal fork). A little education goes a long way in today's world.

Toasters are expected to be plugged into a GFCI "small appliance
circuit". There is a great amount of safety because of that.
If NOT plugged into a GFCI you CAN get an awfull nasty shock if you
stick a knife into a toaster when thebasket is down (toaster on)
They have a POLARIZED plug co the case side is ALWAYS at ground
potential if plugged into a "properly wired" outlet.

They are double insulated, neither circuit conductor connects to the
case. In fact U/L will not list anything that uses the neutral as an
equipment ground. I understand "Hot Chassis" was common in old
electronics in the 50s and before but that was made that unacceptable
in the 60s.

How something qualifies as double insulated when you can very easily
stick a fork in it and touch the live heater wire, IDK. And not only
that, but unlike say an electric drill, with a toaster there is a
powerful motivation to do so, ie the toast is stuck in there.

I just checked the old Sears toaster here that has a metal case.
I read 6 volts between the case and the neutral, so obviously that
case isn't connected to neutral. So, with that and your UL observation,
looks like I was right. Given all the fuss with dryers and using
the neutral as ground, didn't seem likely that toasters would be
doing that.

It simply means there is an insulated assembly inside an insulated
case.
It has nothing to do with whether there is a hole big enough in the
outer case to stick a conductive implement through.