Posted to alt.home.repair
devnull devnull is offline

Default Repair compressor leak (Frigidaire dehumidifier)

On 8/5/19 10:44 AM, Laatu wrote:
Hi! I have a Frigidaire dehumidifier (FAD704DWD, manufactured in 2013). A
small amount of an oily substance (yellow/light brown in color) is leaking
from underneath the unit. I haven't looked inside yet, but assume this is
oil/refrigerant leaking from the compressor. In total, we have seen a teaspoon
or a little more leak to the floor (perhaps more is pooling inside the
compressor compartment). If you have slowed or repaired a similar leak, I
would love to hear how. My understanding is that refilling/recharging would
not be an option, but since the unit is still dehumidifying effectively, I
would like to keep it going & out of landfill for as long as possible IF there
is a safe way to do so. Thank you!

The fact that it lasted 6 years is absolutely amazing. I've never seen a $300 dehumidifier last over 3 years. It can likely be repaired but
you'd have more in it than a new one would cost.

Put a Kotex on it and run it till it pukes.