Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Repair compressor leak (Frigidaire dehumidifier)

Hi! I have a Frigidaire dehumidifier (FAD704DWD, manufactured in 2013). A
small amount of an oily substance (yellow/light brown in color) is leaking
from underneath the unit. I haven't looked inside yet, but assume this is
oil/refrigerant leaking from the compressor. In total, we have seen a teaspoon
or a little more leak to the floor (perhaps more is pooling inside the
compressor compartment). If you have slowed or repaired a similar leak, I
would love to hear how. My understanding is that refilling/recharging would
not be an option, but since the unit is still dehumidifying effectively, I
would like to keep it going & out of landfill for as long as possible IF there
is a safe way to do so. Thank you!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...r-1197282-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/5/19 10:44 AM, Laatu wrote:
Hi! I have a Frigidaire dehumidifier (FAD704DWD, manufactured in 2013). A
small amount of an oily substance (yellow/light brown in color) is leaking
from underneath the unit. I haven't looked inside yet, but assume this is
oil/refrigerant leaking from the compressor. In total, we have seen a teaspoon
or a little more leak to the floor (perhaps more is pooling inside the
compressor compartment). If you have slowed or repaired a similar leak, I
would love to hear how. My understanding is that refilling/recharging would
not be an option, but since the unit is still dehumidifying effectively, I
would like to keep it going & out of landfill for as long as possible IF there
is a safe way to do so. Thank you!

The fact that it lasted 6 years is absolutely amazing. I've never seen a $300 dehumidifier last over 3 years. It can likely be repaired but
you'd have more in it than a new one would cost.

Put a Kotex on it and run it till it pukes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 5, 2019 at 10:44:05 AM UTC-4, Laatu wrote:
Hi! I have a Frigidaire dehumidifier (FAD704DWD, manufactured in 2013). A
small amount of an oily substance (yellow/light brown in color) is leaking
from underneath the unit. I haven't looked inside yet, but assume this is
oil/refrigerant leaking from the compressor. In total, we have seen a teaspoon
or a little more leak to the floor (perhaps more is pooling inside the
compressor compartment). If you have slowed or repaired a similar leak, I
would love to hear how. My understanding is that refilling/recharging would
not be an option, but since the unit is still dehumidifying effectively, I
would like to keep it going & out of landfill for as long as possible IF there
is a safe way to do so. Thank you!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...r-1197282-.htm

Bubble gum? I'd start looking for a new one. From all the reports here
and personal experience, today these mostly last just a few years. And
with a refrigerant leak, for all practical purposes, it's toast. How would
you fix it? You'd have to find the leak first. Then, if it's say the
evaporator, the cost of that, it's toast. If it's a leaking line, you could
braze it. You'd have to braze on connectors and evacuate it, then recharge
it, requiring gear you don't have. And then, something caused the original
leak, ie some kind of corrosion process or similar. So, if you fix it in
one spot, how much longer until it leaks somewhere else?