Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Why aren't toasters grounded?

In article ,
says...

Toasters are expected to be plugged into a GFCI "small appliance
circuit". There is a great amount of safety because of that.

I bet that over half the houses in the US do not have a GFCI in the
kitchen.

The first apartment and the first house I lived in (not counting the one
I grew up in) only had fuses in it, no breakers at all.

My current house that was built around 1980 only has the GFCI on the
bathroom and outside sockets.

As another pointed out, toasters have been around many years before a
gfci was even heard of, probably many years before even breakers were
used in homes.