Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default highway code

On 01/08/2019 22:25, Martin Brown wrote:
On 01/08/2019 22:18, Steve Walker wrote:
On 01/08/2019 21:58, Roger Hayter wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Have to say I haven't read my higway code since 1968 so no idea if this
is covered......going down the dual carriage way I come to a sign
saying
the inside lane is closed...Do I....immediately go into the outside
lane
thus building up the tail back and cursing the fly man rushing up the
empty inside lane and trying to push in even though nobody is letting
them...Or...like in Australia where things are more sensible do I stay
in the inside lane right up to the closed lane and expect those in the
outside lane instigate the zip effect thus cutting down tailbacks and
making better use of the available road space ?....

The Highway Code advises the latter, but people still tend to do the
former, creating resentment and inefficiency.Â* Where road layout or long
term roadworks make lane merging necessary there tend to be notices
advising use of both lanes and merging in turn.

The trouble is that the eventual merge usually does involve one lane
merging into the other and those that have queued patiently get
annoyed that others have nipped into the mostly empty lane instead of
queuing.

It would be better if the cones were laid out to merge the two lanes
equally, promoting zip merging.

Zip merging is just about the only thing American drivers do better.

UK traffic stalls repeatedly as people refuse to let other people in.

Germans do it very well. They even have a special word for it -

Reißverschlusssystem, I believe.