Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Changes to bank web security

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I don't think that is the point for most people. I'm currently really
****ed off by the tendency of Apple to need me to type in a number they
text me, as by the time I've gone to the phone, opened it and found the
number I then have to type it into a field on a pc which if I make one
mistake generates yet another message with yet another code to remember,
its really almost impossible since if you take too long they cut the link
and the page won't work any more.

You don’t have to do it that way with apple, you are free to use touch ID
or facial recognition depending on the model iphone you have.

Somebody who is a real world person with average response times and a bad
memory should be involved in such things. Still its one way to avoid
people buying on line instead of in the high street I suppose!

"Swer" wrote in message

"PeterC" wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Jul 2019 10:50:02 +0100, Michael Chare wrote:

Various banks are warning me that they will change the security
arrangements for accessing their online accounts. There appears to be a
need to be able to use their mobile phone app.

Should I conclude that I am going to need a mobile phone signal to
access my bank account from a PC?

SMS is an option from 2 banks; 1 is going to require DoB on log-in, so
yet
another reason to avoid any dubious computers (mine is the only one that
trust; the router's wifi is off).

I wouldn't use an app., or do any financial work on a 'phone.

More fool you.

My cards are shielded but I'm sort of guessing that
shielding a 'phone is rather counter-productive.

But using the phone to do a *pay transaction instead
of using the physical card is vastly more secure.