Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Changes to bank web security

I don't think that is the point for most people. I'm currently really ****ed
off by the tendency of Apple to need me to type in a number they text me, as
by the time I've gone to the phone, opened it and found the number I then
have to type it into a field on a pc which if I make one mistake generates
yet another message with yet another code to remember, its really almost
impossible since if you take too long they cut the link and the page won't
work any more.

Somebody who is a real world person with average response times and a bad
memory should be involved in such things. Still its one way to avoid people
buying on line instead of in the high street I suppose!

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Swer" wrote in message

"PeterC" wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Jul 2019 10:50:02 +0100, Michael Chare wrote:

Various banks are warning me that they will change the security
arrangements for accessing their online accounts. There appears to be a
need to be able to use their mobile phone app.

Should I conclude that I am going to need a mobile phone signal to
access my bank account from a PC?

SMS is an option from 2 banks; 1 is going to require DoB on log-in, so
yet
another reason to avoid any dubious computers (mine is the only one that
trust; the router's wifi is off).

I wouldn't use an app., or do any financial work on a 'phone.

More fool you.

My cards are shielded but I'm sort of guessing that
shielding a 'phone is rather counter-productive.

But using the phone to do a *pay transaction instead
of using the physical card is vastly more secure.