Jeff Cochran

Default 'egress' windows

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 02:17:11 GMT, "charlie hagen"
wrote:

Hello,

My wife is having me look into finishing our basement. One thing she wants
is a guest room. The basement windows that exist now are way too small and
I'm checking out egress windows. So, having no experience replacing
windows, but lots of experience do-it-myselfing, I have a couple of
questions:

1. what's the diff between the 'egress windows' I read about in basement
remodeling articles/books and regular casement windows? I'm not finding
much information at the local mega-home-improvement-shop.

Egress windows will open to provide a clear space of a specified
height and width for exit by a person. Check your building code for
the required size, and any decent window shop in your area will be
able to show you everything you need to know.

2. Should I be looking for anything special in selecting a window for this
purpose?

Yes, one that specifically meets your code. I's a required life
safety code item.

3. Any recomendations from the general viewing audience?

Building department and window store.

Jeff