Minnie Bannister

Default 'egress' windows

An "egress window" is a window that meets certain requirements: no more
than x inches above floor level, minimum of y sq. ft. opening, etc., etc.

Your local Building Dept. can tell you what your municipality's specific
rules are, but you can probably find the general rules with a Google
search for "egress window".

Unless you want to have a super-size window well to allow for complete
opening of a casement window, a sliding window is probably going to be best.

MB

On 03/19/04 09:17 pm charlie hagen put fingers to keyboard and launched
the following message into cyberspace:

My wife is having me look into finishing our basement. One thing she wants
is a guest room. The basement windows that exist now are way too small and
I'm checking out egress windows. So, having no experience replacing
windows, but lots of experience do-it-myselfing, I have a couple of
questions:

1. what's the diff between the 'egress windows' I read about in basement
remodeling articles/books and regular casement windows? I'm not finding
much information at the local mega-home-improvement-shop.

2. Should I be looking for anything special in selecting a window for this
purpose?

and,

3. Any recomendations from the general viewing audience?