Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How good/bad is powerline networking, especislly with more thantwo devices?

On 19/07/2019 16:43, Andy Burns wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I think the powerline units equate to the ports on an old style
repeater hub with the mains cable being their stretched out "bus"

Basically yes.

What is technically known as a 'bridge'

do you think the powerline units have learn/forward/drop capability?

I assumed they just repeated everything they got, onto the wire, in-case
something else might want to see it, thought they were dumb?Â* IEEE 1901
doesn't say much on the subject, but does say it uses CSMA/CD i.e. the
bad old thin-wire ethernet single collision domain detection.

It is essentially thin wire ethernet using the mains instead of coax.

OK as a P to P link but no good as a whole network

--
€œIdeas are inherently conservative. They yield not to the attack of
other ideas but to the massive onslaught of circumstance"

- John K Galbraith