Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default How good/bad is powerline networking, especislly with more than two devices?

On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 16:31:05 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

T i m wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I think the powerline units equate to the ports on an old style repeater
hub with the mains cable being their stretched out "bus"

To add to that, I think the ports might all look like basic 'hub'
(bridging, rather than repeating) ports, via the bus as you said?

I think of "hubs" as repeaters, not as switches (aka multiport bridges)

Agreed.

but it's loose terminology

Or can be used loosely. ;-)

The first commercial network I installed used an 8 port Thin Ethernet
Repeater where there was just bridging between each of the ports.
Therefore, any traffic between say a client and server on one port
would impact the performance between similar on another [1]. But hey,
10Mbps was a step up from the 1Mbps of the Corvus Omninet (One) system
it grew out of. ;-)

Each segment could be manually isolated via a front panel mounted
switch. ;-)

except the odd-ball dual speed hubs which are a 10Mb hub and a 100Mb hub
in a box, with a 2 port switch between them.

Yah.

Cheers, T i m

[1] It was surprising how quickly / well some of the users could
detect if I was say running a server backup during office hours. ;-)