Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim GM4DHJ ... Jim GM4DHJ ... is offline

Default How good/bad is powerline networking, especislly with more than two devices?

"Chris Green" wrote in message
I am investigating my options for getting the LAN to work as well as
poosible around our property. We are having quite a lot of changes
done at the moment (new shower room, balcony, etc.) and so some parts
of the existing cat5e plus WiFi will have to move and/or be replaced.

The 'existing' coverage is provided by the main VDSL router (Draytek
2860n) which provides WiFi for some of the house and a second Draytek
(2820n) with the WAN side turned off covering some/all of the rest.
There is then a length of cat5e draped through a tree and going to the
garage for the backup system and, thence, a TP-link outdoor access
point for more distant WiFi.

I'm considering using powerline networking for filling in some gaps
and/or replacing some of the more bodged cat5e connections. How good
can powerline networking be? I know I'm unlikely to get a good speed
over really long bits of mains wiring but if one uses more than one
powerline device will they 'chain' their connections to provide good
end-to-end working or are they not that clever?

My tests with a fairly basic pair of Tenda (supposedly Gigabit)
powerline devices suggest that they're only 'good' when used on a
single, or at least closely associated, circuits. However if I can
add more of them so that they 'chain' across the system that could
well be a reasonable solution, but I need to know if they can
interconnect like this. Does anyone know?

the devils work .....don't use them......