Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Green Chris Green is offline

Default How good/bad is powerline networking, especislly with more than two devices?

Tim+ wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
I am investigating my options for getting the LAN to work as well as
poosible around our property. We are having quite a lot of changes
done at the moment (new shower room, balcony, etc.) and so some parts
of the existing cat5e plus WiFi will have to move and/or be replaced.

The 'existing' coverage is provided by the main VDSL router (Draytek
2860n) which provides WiFi for some of the house and a second Draytek
(2820n) with the WAN side turned off covering some/all of the rest.
There is then a length of cat5e draped through a tree and going to the
garage for the backup system and, thence, a TP-link outdoor access
point for more distant WiFi.

I'm considering using powerline networking for filling in some gaps
and/or replacing some of the more bodged cat5e connections. How good
can powerline networking be? I know I'm unlikely to get a good speed
over really long bits of mains wiring but if one uses more than one
powerline device will they 'chain' their connections to provide good
end-to-end working or are they not that clever?

My tests with a fairly basic pair of Tenda (supposedly Gigabit)
powerline devices suggest that they're only 'good' when used on a
single, or at least closely associated, circuits. However if I can
add more of them so that they 'chain' across the system that could
well be a reasonable solution, but I need to know if they can
interconnect like this. Does anyone know?

As another alternative worth considering, how about a €śmesh€ť Wi-Fi system?
We have the three node BT mesh system and are very happy with how it
reaches all parts of our 5 bedroom house. Its great having just a single
SSID and no faffing about telling mobile devices with access point to use
as you move around.

I've been considering it (see my other response). However, is the BT
mesh system interconnected by CAT5 or by WiFi? Our house isn't very
'WiFi transparent' so I think a wired interconnect mesh system would
make much more sense.

--
Chris Green
·