Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How good/bad is powerline networking, especislly with more than two devices?

On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 10:52:17 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

If you've got "work" going on now, including rewiring etc, I'd bite the
bullet and lay in enough ethernet cable (cat5e/cat6 your choice) to do
it properly,

+1 cable is cheap. Getting access to install fit it latter is
expensive. Refurb of the house had two Cat5e and coax installed at
the diagonally opposite corners of a room across the corner with the
door. All run back to the "services" cupboard, where they are
terminated on a couple of 24 port patch panels, enabling easy
connection to switch ports etc. It's really nice want a bit of kit
there, run a shortish cable to a socket, patch it, done.

I know Brian and co dislike powerline for interference reasons, but the
real reason to avoid it, is that it's never as fast, or as reliable.

And I don't think the "relaying" requested works either, even of you
try and frig it by taking the out of one unit into the in of another.
If nothing else you have a transmitter right next toa receiver... I
believe it's also a bit unpredictable if it'll work between rings.

--
Cheers
Dave.