Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Green Chris Green is offline

Default How good/bad is powerline networking, especislly with more than two devices?

Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Green wrote:

I am investigating my options for getting the LAN to work as well as
poosible around our property.

If you've got "work" going on now, including rewiring etc, I'd bite the
bullet and lay in enough ethernet cable (cat5e/cat6 your choice) to do
it properly, I know Brian and co dislike powerline for interference
reasons, but the real reason to avoid it, is that it's never as fast, or
as reliable.

Yes, I can/will do that for some areas but the more distant bits are
still a problem. The two links that I'd most like to consider the
powerline devices for a-

House to garage - as I said this is currently cat5e strung through
a tree which works OK but isn't very beautiful and is likely to
get broken rather easily. Burying s cable would be the ideal
solution but is rather OTT. As the garage is basically just for
the backup system speed is not that important. The electricity
meter and incomer are in the garage so the house is electrically
quite 'close'.

Garage to cabin/garden - the cabin has mains power, from the
garage, so if 'chained' powerline adapters work OK then the 'house
to garage' plus 'garage to cabin' approach would work well.

Finally, do any of the more reasonably priced 'mesh' systems have
wired interconnections between the mesh boxes? Just relying on the
WiFi to connect them is a bit hopeful in our house.

--
Chris Green
ยท