Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Green Chris Green is offline

Default Consumer Unit placement, thoughts and ideas please

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 17 Jul 2019 10:58:49 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

- Need to extend incomer

Do you really mean that or just tails from meter?

Could the incomer, main cut out, meter and isolation switch (if
required, tails 1 m don't IIRC) remain in the shower room?

The company fuse and meter are in the garage, 50yds or so away from
the house. There is then a buried SWA feed from the garage (protected
by a switch/fuse unit in the garage) which feeds the house CU.

Mind you I'm not sure that incomer, cut out etc would be allowed in a
shower room in the first place so they may *have* to move. That move
is really down to the DNO (incomer and cutout) and your supplier
(meter). Good luck with that...

See above, all these are out in the garage and not moving.

- Access above is below floorboards in a cupboard so difficult
wiring

Make floor of cupboard a decent access panel?

Yes, I guess the T&G could be replaced by a sheet of ply or similar,
another job though. Plus working there would still involve kneeling and
leaning over a plasterboard ceiling, not my favourite occupation! :-)

Personally I'd look at the entrance hall with the CU inside a
suitably sized cupboard to hide it. If the regs allow THAT these
days...

I think it's either this or the cupboard upstairs, I'm still wandering
back and forth trying to see which would be easier (and neater).

--
Chris Green
ยท