Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Green Chris Green is offline

Default Consumer Unit placement, thoughts and ideas please

Robin wrote:
On 17/07/2019 10:58, Chris Green wrote:
snip

The perfect solution (for the
cupboard) would be a 'stacked' 8 + 8 unit but, in the UK anyway,
stacked CUs are rare and flush mounting stacked ones non-existent. I
have found one from Garo but they're an Irish firm and I'm not really
sure about standards conformance.

You could use 2 consumer units with a "Henley" block. Not as compact as
a stacked unit but then again they don't need to equal sizes.

This post was brought to you by choice-overload-R-us

Yes, I've seen this suggested elsewhere too but it does have
associated issues:-

Do you have two main switches? If so then is this a safety issue
in an emergency?

If not two main switches then how to feed second CU from the main
switch in the first one. This brings on all sorts of issues about
conformance/testing of CUs when in non-standard configuration.

Maybe add an external main switch, though this just duplicates the
issue of whether a CU without a main switch would be type tested.

--
Chris Green
ยท