Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] jrwalliker@gmail.com is offline

Default Just through where is your Internet traffic being routed?

On Wednesday, 17 July 2019 12:05:11 UTC+1, wrote:
One of my cow-orkers claims that because he used a proxy / vpn, even his isp cant tell what sites he is visiting.

This seemed a little far fetched, but now I am wondering if it is correct??

If he is using an encrypted VPN and it is set up so that DNS lookups
are sent through the VPN as well as the actual browsing, then there
is no way for his service provider to know what he is doing. However,
this just moves the problem elsewhere. How much does he trust the
VPN service provider?
How likely is it that those who like to monitor things perhaps
concentrate their efforts on VPN providers?
He could of course set up a virtual machine in a data centre somewhere
and VPN to that, but it would have to be paid for. Being untraceable
is not that easy.

John