Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Just through where is your Internet traffic being routed?

On 17/07/2019 12:05, wrote:
One of my cow-orkers claims that because he used a proxy / vpn, even his isp cant tell what sites he is visiting.

This seemed a little far fetched, but now I am wondering if it is correct??

It is essentially correct.

Basically you set up an encrypted channel between you and the VPN server
and that does the conversations itself.

the stage beyond that is onion routing, which is a network of VPN
servers which pass your request around between them until one of them
decides to issue a request on your behalf.

IIRC there are linux distros that have it all set up and ready to use.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onion_routing

Mark Twain