Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adam Funk[_3_] Adam Funk[_3_] is offline

Default Electrical box for dry lining with a conduit opening on thebottom?

On 2019-07-15, newshound wrote:

On 15/07/2019 11:40, Adam Funk wrote:
I'm looking for a 1-gang dry-lining box with a circular knockout on
the bottom for a conduit fitting. Does such a thing exist? (Most of
them have circular knockouts on the back, I know, but that wouldn't
fit where I want to use this.)

Thanks.

For a deep enough one, easy enough to add with a hole saw. Presumably
you need metal conduit there because it's outside the permitted zone?

This question isn't for mains wiring. We're having some fitted
furniture installed next week (similar construction to kitchen units
but shallower, in alcoves in the dining room) & the joiner said he can
make cut-outs for dry lining boxes when he installs them if the cables
are already in place (to go behind the backs of of the units). For
the mains sockets, I'll clip cables to the wall & drill through the
floor (& seal with expanding foam, of course!), then connect them up
in the crawl space afterwards.

But I also want to fit two 1-gang boxes in case I need networking or
phone wiring later, so I was going to run 20 mm conduit through the
floor to make it easy to draw the cables.