Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electrical box for dry lining with a conduit opening on the bottom?

I'm looking for a 1-gang dry-lining box with a circular knockout on
the bottom for a conduit fitting. Does such a thing exist? (Most of
them have circular knockouts on the back, I know, but that wouldn't
fit where I want to use this.)

Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/07/2019 11:40, Adam Funk wrote:
I'm looking for a 1-gang dry-lining box with a circular knockout on
the bottom for a conduit fitting. Does such a thing exist? (Most of
them have circular knockouts on the back, I know, but that wouldn't
fit where I want to use this.)

Thanks.

For a deep enough one, easy enough to add with a hole saw. Presumably
you need metal conduit there because it's outside the permitted zone?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 15/07/2019 11:40, Adam Funk wrote:
I'm looking for a 1-gang dry-lining box with a circular knockout on
the bottom for a conduit fitting. Does such a thing exist? (Most of
them have circular knockouts on the back, I know, but that wouldn't
fit where I want to use this.)

Thanks.

Metal one any good?

Scolmore WA4147
and
Scolmore WA4135

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2019-07-15, newshound wrote:

On 15/07/2019 11:40, Adam Funk wrote:
I'm looking for a 1-gang dry-lining box with a circular knockout on
the bottom for a conduit fitting. Does such a thing exist? (Most of
them have circular knockouts on the back, I know, but that wouldn't
fit where I want to use this.)

Thanks.

For a deep enough one, easy enough to add with a hole saw. Presumably
you need metal conduit there because it's outside the permitted zone?

This question isn't for mains wiring. We're having some fitted
furniture installed next week (similar construction to kitchen units
but shallower, in alcoves in the dining room) & the joiner said he can
make cut-outs for dry lining boxes when he installs them if the cables
are already in place (to go behind the backs of of the units). For
the mains sockets, I'll clip cables to the wall & drill through the
floor (& seal with expanding foam, of course!), then connect them up
in the crawl space afterwards.

But I also want to fit two 1-gang boxes in case I need networking or
phone wiring later, so I was going to run 20 mm conduit through the
floor to make it easy to draw the cables.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Jul 2019 08:47:53 +0100, Adam Funk wrote:

But I also want to fit two 1-gang boxes in case I need networking or
phone wiring later, so I was going to run 20 mm conduit through the
floor to make it easy to draw the cables.

I think you'd be better off just having holes into the void and a
draw string(*) rather than restricting things into 20 mm conduit.
It'll be a damn sight easier to pull things in through just a couple
of holes than through 20 mm conduit, especially once there are other
cables in the conduit. It'll be difficult if not impossible to pull
around even a swept bend in 20 mm conduit.

Or put the cables (Cat5e will do Gigabit ethernet and phone) in now
while you have easy access, cable is cheap even real copper. Don't
get CCS (copper clad steel) or CCA (copper clad aluminium).

(*) 2.25 times the length required with each end securely fixed at
each access point so you don't "accidentally" remove it when pulling
a cable in.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2019-07-16, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Tue, 16 Jul 2019 08:47:53 +0100, Adam Funk wrote:

But I also want to fit two 1-gang boxes in case I need networking or
phone wiring later, so I was going to run 20 mm conduit through the
floor to make it easy to draw the cables.

I think you'd be better off just having holes into the void and a
draw string(*) rather than restricting things into 20 mm conduit.
It'll be a damn sight easier to pull things in through just a couple
of holes than through 20 mm conduit, especially once there are other
cables in the conduit. It'll be difficult if not impossible to pull
around even a swept bend in 20 mm conduit.

The units are going to have backs on them, & I was just going to run a
straight piece of conduit about 300 mm long from the box down through
a hole the floor.

Or put the cables (Cat5e will do Gigabit ethernet and phone) in now
while you have easy access, cable is cheap even real copper. Don't
get CCS (copper clad steel) or CCA (copper clad aluminium).

(*) 2.25 times the length required with each end securely fixed at
each access point so you don't "accidentally" remove it when pulling
a cable in.

Electric backbox and dry lining box dimensions? Gareth Davies[_2_] UK diy 3 January 6th 19 08:09 PM
Cavity Wall Dry Lining Box Kenny Home Repair 3 July 21st 15 05:25 AM
Earthing Dry Lining Box Kevin UK diy 8 July 31st 12 10:35 AM
Best Dry Lining Box TheScullster UK diy 9 July 6th 11 02:55 PM
Dry Lining - Electrical pattress box - UK diy 3 January 12th 06 10:11 PM