Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Netbook, back again

On Mon, 15 Jul 2019 17:51:46 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

snip

Can't say I was that impressed with the Baffalo NAS I saw.

In this case 'beggars can't be choosers' John. ;-)

If you want
"simple and works" Netgear readynas are good.

Ok. I have seen them on eBay. (Just trying not to go there again),
could it have been a D-Link NAS that required (forced) you to create
an online account and the NAS was linked to it or might that be an
option on most of them for remote access?

For more features Synology
or QNAP.

I don't think we would want 'more features' (than a reliable / basic
NAS, possibly with the option of RAID1) and those we would want we
aren't likely to get ... like the sort of client machine backup we get
as std on WHS?

I was looking for another 2TB drive to replay the third drive on this
TeraStation that is currently in RAID5. Given I was considering a
DS218j (two drive bays) I have since thought of just pulling one of
the 3 remaining drives in the TeraStation and turning the remaining
two drives into a RAID1 pair and still have a 2TB drive to hold as a
spare, or set up as backup drive in the TS, or as an independent
backup by putting it in an external / USB drive case [1], either
plugged into the NAS directly or running on a RPi / OMV. I wouldn't
know (yet) how I would get the drives mirrored across the two boxes,
if I went that way (whereas I believe the Synology boxes have their
own Backup solution)?

Cheers, T i m

[1] It would be handy if the backup drive could be read on any or
Linux boxes ... in an emergency.