Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Netbook, back again

On 15/07/2019 18:55, dennis@home wrote:
what was the fix?

Thats the frustrating part....I dont really know.
This is what I can remember from the last 24 hours.
You can come to your own conclusion, my bet is the Virgin router.

....." Ok I will give this in the correct order as best I can remember .

Along the way my wifes iphone and the TV stopped connecting to the
internet as I know even less on that side she phoned Virgin and pushed
them to have a look, they messed for nearly an hour doing whatever they
do, trying to claim a loose cable but eventually wife got her
connections back, but no reason from Virgin why.
So tried this netbook and still no joy.

I then uninstalled Avira / Malware and AVG or whatever remnants were on
the system as best I could, I couldnt get in to safe mode, it started
then stalled.
Tried netbook again €¦no joy.

Then using msconfig tried some options and nearly lost it, (surprise
surprise, I shouldnt go near that with my knowledge) I put back to
where it was and kept getting an Asus issue and recommending a shutdown,
so then done a system restore back to June (forgot to do one before
uninstalls of AVs), that got me up and running again with no internet
connection.

Unplugged AC unit, removed battery for a few hours.€¦date & time stamps
still correct in bios.
Tried internet again€¦.no joy.

Looked again at wireless connections not really knowing what I am
looking for but double checked the passwords etc.

Done another reboot, must be about 15 by now.

5 minutes later I get a connection.

I have shut down and rebooted 3 times and it still connects now to the
internet. Left for another couple of hours tried again and it is still
connecting ok.

It looks like whatever the issue was it is now resolved.

It is frustrating not knowing what the issue was but I am suspicious the
phone call to Virgin fixed something although it was a couple of hours
after that before it connected".......