Posted to rec.woodworking
Unquestionably Confused[_4_] Unquestionably Confused[_4_] is offline

Default Now bandsaw - how to move

On 7/13/2019 8:52 AM, wrote:
On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 07:58:34 -0400, Keith Nuttle
wrote:

[SNIP]
Playing of you comment on your lawn tractor, is your health such that
you should even be considering moving the band saw by your health. If
you do will you children think it is a good idea?

Nothing like that. I walk ~20mi a day (110-130mi/wk unless life
intervenes). I'm pacemaker dependent (heart doesn't beat without it).
I can do pretty much anything you'd likely encounter around one's
house but weld or ride a lawn tractor. Some gas powered lawn equipment
can be a problem but was just told to "be careful" around them. It's
the AC magnetic field (alternator, in this case) that's the problem.
They're shielded against electric fields but not magnetic.

With hospital cost today, The band saw is not worth a heart attack.

Bite your tongue! ;-)

A heart attack is unlikely but could strike any of us, at any time.
Though I had triple bypass surgery in '14 the problem is electrical,
which the pacemaker has all but fixed.

I had the combo Pacemaker/ICD implanted last Fall. The first time I
tried mowing the lawn I got chest pains and my pulse was pushing 130.
Thinking it was the EMI from the 22HP engine behind me on the ZTR mower
I was going to build a Faraday cage type shield to see if that would
help. I asked the cardiologist, the electrician, not my plumber and was
surprised when he told me that more than like it was the motion that did
it. He asked if I had a lot of bouncing around with the mower and,
truth be told, when I could, I'd do the straightaways at maximum speed.

He told me that my device - maybe yours too - has a sensor in it to
automatically increase your heart rate over the set parameters when it
senses vibration such as would be induced by rigorous exercise. Try it
with less speed and bouncing. I did and the problem pretty much went
away. I push it now and then and using a combo pulse oximeter I can see
my pulse up to 85% of my calculated maximum and while I might feel a bit
of discomfort, it's no worse than when I WAS capable of rigorous exercise.

I asked the plumber when I had my last appointment if two hours on the
ZTR with average pulse rate above 115, but below 128 was the equivalent
of a good workout. Unfortunately, he said, "Nice try, but no!"

Your mileage may vary but might be worth running it by your electrician.