Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Socket terminal screws not grabbing cable....

On 13/07/2019 06:43, ARW wrote:

Snip

I used loads yesterday. But that was on flex to relays and PSUs -
probably the most unpleasant job I have ever done. Some dick wants mag
locks on some small roller shutter doors to secure them in the open and
closed positions.

No specs, no design just get on with it and it seems no one has tried it
before. The working hours are 10am to 11am and 12.15 pm to 3pm but you
can only work on the outside of the shutters between 12.30pm and 2pm.
All shutters must be left in a working state when you are not working on
them. I also need to mention that it takes 5 minutes to get from the
inside to the outside of the shutters and even when open there is only a
small access panel to pass tools through (you can just get an impact
driver through it). The walls are steel lined ply with insulation in the
cavity.

No access to the internet to learn how to set the limit switches on the
roller shutters (worked that one out on site by trial and error) and no
manual for the shutter door controls (had to "read" the PCB to see how
that worked).

Need an extra tool or part? A trip to the van is a 20 minute round trip.

I worked for a company in 1997/8 where some of the staff were involved
in the maintenence of security doors in Ashworth High Security Hospital.
It took them ages to get in and out, they were only allowed to take a
bare minimum of cutting tools in and if they needed something different
or broke one, they had to pack everything up and take the long trip out
and back in again.

If they weren't finished on time, they had to stay and finish for
security reasons. If they were still there after a certain time, they
had to stay locked in for the night!

SteveW