Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Netbook, back again

On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 21:49:33 +0100, ss wrote:

On 11/07/2019 00:35, T i m wrote:
Mobile netbook ... I'd still be interested to see if it connects
wirelessly to*another* network.

Yes it did connect to another wireless network.

So, as I pondered, it could be a compatibility issue, one that has
possibly manifested itself since a VM update.

I am with Virgin and it connected to a Sky wireless, although I should
add not to all websites but I think thats a lesser issue and possibly
firewall or something.

Or browser, from your previous messages.

So, assuming you can predict that you won't come across another VM
router on your travels with that netbook, you have a few options.

Have a look at the options in the VM router / HUB options to see if
you make it more friendly to your Netbook (maybe John could help you
with that again). eg. I think I've disabled the 5GHz network or
somesuch and stuff has worked again (even though it's illogical etc).

Try a different network adaptor in the Netbook, maybe an Intel model.
Sometimes they are accessible though a panel in the bottom or on a
netbook, often the whole base comes off (several screws) and the Mini
PCI adaptors aren't expensive on eBay.

Depending on how well the test goes (booting Linux from a USB stick
and seeing it *that* will connect to your router) and what you
actually need to do with this Netbook, install Linux (you could even
do it dual boot, XP / Linux) and enjoy an up-to-date OS and browser
etc. ;-)

The point I'm making is unless you need XP for some reason or Linux
doesn't run on that hardware, for basic web browsing, email and office
duties, Linux could be a good solution. Ironically, if you aren't
'technical' I predict it would be easier for you to install Linux than
re-installing XP (especially).

Cheers, T i m