Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Socket terminal screws not grabbing cable....

I've seen this as well, but always I find that several months after
installation you need to retighten the screws due to it all relaxing. If
you strip enough and fold it nicely it then grips quite well. I'm
surprised technology has not improved on a screw by now, maybe to a screw
pushing a spring plate system as you can find in some terminal blocks. Those
seem firm as there is no real space for the wire to slip round the side, but
then holes are often not round but rectangular.
Brian

From the sofa of Brian Gaff -

Blind user, so no pictures please!
Today is Yesterdays Tomorrow.
"Andrew" wrote in message
On 12/07/2019 18:44, R D S wrote:
Bought some sockets today, put the 2.5mm in, tightened the screw, the
cable promptly fell back out as the screw left too much room at either
side.

What would a proper electrician do in this circumstance?
I folded the cable double but not really happy. Is this a common
'problem'?

I thought that was how you should do it. The space is to allow
ring main in and ring main out, plus possibly a cable to a single
socket spur. I'd be more annoyed if there wasn't anough space to allow
this.

Wouldn't mind if i'd got them at the pound shop but they came from an
electrical wholesaler.