Posted to alt.home.repair
Commander Kinsey Commander Kinsey is offline

Default Lead acid battery charger (or alternator) switching to tricklewith load present?

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 18:31:44 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 01:20:46 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 23:43:38 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 22:30:05 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news On Sun, 23 Jun 2019 07:03:33 +0100, Xeno

wrote:

On 23/6/19 5:43 am, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 20:08:46 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 19:55:03 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in
message
news On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 19:14:07 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

No news to me, boy.

He's probably as old as you.

He isnt.

I've met Bod and he's (I'm about to insult him most likely)
very
very
old
indeed. I'd have to guess 80 to 90.

Thats just the furious drunken grave dancing and flagrant drug
abuse.

Smoking does make your face more wrinkly, but I'm sure he told
me
his
age once.

For some reason I've always assumed you're about 70.

You're still wrong.

What is your age then?

And back on topic, I just bought a 16 amp 13.8V power supply,
that
ought
to keep the bloody frog car charged up. It's currently maxing
out
my
2.5A supply all night, and still not starting in the morning.

That's telling you your battery is knackered. Try a high rate
discharge
test on it. You will see it fall over very quickly.

Wrong yet again. I've changed the battery twice. It's consuming
power
overnight - presumably the alarm - I've actually measured up to 4
amps
(randomly, sometimes it consumes nothing) coming off the battery
with a
meter when all the fuses are pulled.

Sounds more like a wiring fault. An alarm shouldnt
ever take anything like that when its not sounding.

But if it's broken....

There is no fault in an alarm that would produce a result like that.

I don't know enough about alarms to disagree, but couldn't it be
sounding
the alarm without noise as something is broken?

Nope. Its the sound that takes the current.
It if isnt sounding, there isnt the current.

It's never tried to prevent me starting the engine though.

Yeah, it wont be an alarm fault.

Can be a real bugger to find if its a pinched wire somewhere if it
isnt
obvious where a wire can be pinched like at one of the doors etc.

Surely a physical short like that would just burn out eventually..

Nope, 4A isnt enough to do that.

I can't see a loose wire doing that.

Its not a loose wire, its a wire jammed between two
pieces of metal with an edge cutting thru the insulation.

At some point it will either burn itself

Not with 4A it wont.

or a fuse.

It cant be a fused line given that you still get
the battery flattened with no fuses installed.

If you can somehow rig up something that allows you to
see or hear the current draw, or have someone else watch
the meter, you may be able to see if its a door by doing
that and operating the doors.

I've only ever seen it by leaving a multimeter connected with a maximum
function running. Car sat perfectly still, it just does it sometimes
overnight.

Yeah, you really need a proper data logger. Not expensive.

Not spending money on stuff for one little purpose like that. And I can't see it would tell me anything, apart from "it happened at 5am".

And that would allow you to see which door is the problem
too if it is one of the doors pinching a cable as its closed.

What makes you think it's a door? It happens randomly overnight when nothing has been moved.