Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dennis@home Dennis@home is offline

Default Netbook, back again

On 10/07/2019 23:41, John Rumm wrote:
On 10/07/2019 11:37, Andy Burns wrote:
T i m wrote:

So, what is the cause of the problem then?

If John and the O/P have put it to bed, it no longer matters,

Not quite to bed - the OP is still trying a few additional things I have
suggested. We are also waiting for access to anther network to try to
connect to.

some DHCP clash between the VM hub and the ancient XP network stack ...

It seems that way. Its very similar to the parameter 43 problem that
used to bite XP at one point. Although IIRC that would also cause a DHCP
fail on Ethernet as well.

I had a problem with a stupid linux device (an android phone) that would
insist on using the same IP address as one of my Synology NAS servers
even when DHCP was set.
It just wouldn't change its address to what the router told it to use
and caused intermittent fails on the backups.
In the end I gave up and moved the Synology to a new address.

Everything else on the network uses the pre-assigned address from the
router but that phone just wouldn't.