Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Netbook, back again

On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 11:24:54 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk
wrote:

On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 11:25:44 +0100, T i m wrote:

I had exactly the same thing when using a Linux newsgroup when reporting
an isssue with overspeed on a wired mouse (FFS). It took someone
offering to come in remotely and try to fix the problem did all the
troll hunters have to eat their words (except being mostly left brainers
they didn't of course). ;-)

The Linux community is probably the single biggest thing holding back the
wider adoption of Linux.

Agreed, as seen for an ordinary users POV (eg, just looking for a
workable desktop OS solution, free or otherwise).

I have a stack of excruciatingly detailed issues
posted to the correct forum(s) going back years that are gathering dust.

Shame.

Then there are the issues I have asked for advice on that I've been told
either don't exist, or aren't linux issues.

Been there ...

The standout one being a
subtle mouse issue that everyone insisted was a hardware fault despite it
never happening on the same dual boot machine with the same mouse under
Windows.

Similarly, mine was because whilst you could slow the mouse in Linux
using some CLI shenanigans, if failed when you used the KVMA switch to
go between that and XP, W10 or OSX (all those *could* deal with the
mouse speed ok, with or without the switch).

I was mildly amused to get an email in 2017 from a forum posting
in 2009 from someone who *still* had the same issue (which was introduced
between Dapper and Efty) and pretty much the same lack of belief from the
crowd.

Bless em. ;-)

The thing is, if you aren't a full Tux T shirt, Tux bumper sticker,
Linux living and breathing geek, you aren't allowed to even suggest
that Linux is still (very much) 'under development' and because no one
has successfully taken it (and it's community) by the balls (Mark
Shuttleworth tried with Ubuntu and it's family of hardware but
unfortunately failed) and agree a *generic Linux* that all the devs
and hardware manufactures can pins their hats on, it's going to stick
where it is with a 5% desktop market userbase. And this is in *spite*
of all the opportunities the likes of Microsoft have given them over
the years. ;-(

The thing is, it's going to take 'something special' to sway enough
people away from Windows (or Apple / OSX to a lesser degree) and you
aren't going to do that with something that at best can be a 'poor
alternative' [1] to Windows (/OSX). ;-(

It is getting there though, but could get there so much quicker if
people stopped forking it all over the place. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

[1] Ubuntu being an 'alternative to and can run alongside Windows' was
a Canonical marketing strapline. ;-)